Author Topic: SYTYCD 7-1-09  (Read 1579 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
SYTYCD 7-1-09
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »
Vote for your top three couples, then tell us what you think and who should go home.
Sheryl
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:12:57 PM by Sheryl »

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Re: SYTYCD 7-1-09
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »
It's really hard to pick just 3 top couples since again I think most of them did a great job.
There were a couple dances though that I didn't really like so it's hard to say whether or not the dancing was good when I didn't like the choreography.
I didn't care for Jeanine and Philip's hip hop or Caitlin and Jason's jazz.
I thought Kayla was strongest in the contemporary dance with Jupono but I guess I'd put these three couples in the bottom 3.

I thought Melissa was just stunning but what are the chances that she randomly picked that dance? They make it sound as if the dancers are never sure what dance they'll pick but it seems as if it had to have been planned that she'd do a classical ballet routine.
And how come Philip's been able to do to hip hop numbers and some dancers have never danced a dance that their specialty?
Seems like some things are fixed.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »
I thought it was odd myself Sheryl. Melissa everyweek had a dance form wherre her ballet experience came into play. It was odd last night that the ballet style dance was given to the ballerina.  I want to see her do hip hop or something totally out of her comfort zone. I like this couple but I need to see if they can do all styles. 
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
I think they should have a rule where they have to pull the dance they do out of a hat but if it is a style they performed before they have to throw it back. Then when they have done all the styles and it repeats so be it. This way we will see them do all styles, this way some may never get a style that they aren't comfortable with while another couple constantly does.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »
That's a good suggestion Barb about doing all style dances at least once before doing a particular one a second time. I guess the only draw back to that might be if partners change.
That could be why Philip got to do hip hop twice. I hadn't thought about it until just now.
Still, I get the feeling the judges have favorites and tweak things to their advantage.
There were a lot of great dances last night but Brandon seemed to get the most praise since Mary and Nigel have loved him from the beginning and wants everyone to feel the same way.

In any event, I thought Melissa was just stunning in that classical number and Ade did a great job as her partner but I think it was totally unfair to give her that dance when she's a trained ballerina.
If the show wants to see if anyone can adapt to all types of dance styles, they should have perhaps given that dance to Philip and Jeanine.
Oh well. No one every said "life is fair," lol.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
Yes but if it is with a new partner then it is a different combo so then it would be ok. I kind of feel it isn't fair for Melissa to be there since she was a ballerina on a professional level but I think they really all have professional experience of somekind or other. TO have amatuers on this show, it would be really bad so I don't get as upset here as I do with AI or DWTS
Benjamin Franklin

new mama

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »
I thought quite a few of the dances were weird this week.  Kayla and Kupono had a really bizarre death thing going on, and Caitlin and Jason with the alien.  Last year I thought the dancers had their own hats to pull the style dance from so that there wouldn't be repeats.  I am disappointed that Jeanine and Phillip did hip hop again.  It would have been nice to have seen him do a style where there are lifts and other skills involved.  Maybe he would surprise us!!   :wink1

My top 3 couples this time around are Janette and Brandon, Randi and Evan, and Melissa and Ade.  The cha cha was hot and fast and really enjoyable.  There was one part that looked a little funky to me but it didn't detract from how good it was.  Randi and Evan I just enjoy every week.  They stayed in character and they did a great job.  Melissa and Ade also did a great job and I also thought it was convenient that the first time there is ballet we have a balerina choosing it.  Good for her that she is able to showcase her strength but it would have been interesting to see how another couple would have done with this routine.

I will be honest and say that I actually enjoyed the quick step this time!!   :bgrin   Maybe it was because there was a story with it but it was a lot more fun and enjoyable than in previous seasons.  I also loved the costume change.  If we were able to vote for 4 favorite couples I would have included this one.

~ Brinna

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »
LOL I missed the costume change as it was late and I think I fell asleep during that dance. I didn't notice that her dress changed. I rewatched the show this morning and saw it and was amazed.

Was the part of the cha cha that looked weird to you the part where he lifts her around and then looks like he is going to lift her again but doesn't? That is what I found strange during it but thouhgt it was very good.

Benjamin Franklin

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 07:38:55 AM »
I agreed with Karla going but not Vitolio over Kuopono. But alas it really doesn't matter, he will go soon enough and Vitolio would have gone soon anyway.  I was happy that Caitlin and Jason weren't in bottom three although I thought for sure they would be as did they. Did you see poor Caitlin's face, she thought for sure she was in the bottom again and then surprise , surprise, she wasn't.
Benjamin Franklin

barbara

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:38:22 PM »
I was surprised at how openly Mary expressed that she did not like Caitlin and Jason's dance.  I'll bet that choreographer is done on that show.  That was just too weird and it wasn't fair to the dancers.  I'll bet they were kept out of the bottom 3 because the viewers felt so bad for them.  They did dance it as well as can be expected, but I'm guessing few people would say that they actually enjoyed watching that dance.

I think Randi and Evan deserved to be in the bottom 3 this time.  They're good dancers, but not that much better than some of the dancers who have consistently been in the bottom 3, and they never have!

I'm sad that Vitolio is gone.  I thought he was good plus I really liked his personality.  Kupono's solo was pathetic.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:03:53 PM »
I think I got mixed up when I talked about Philip changing partners. I was stuck on the phone during parts of the show but heard Mary talk about how happy she was cause she was going to get to see Philip in his own style for the dance off.
I thought she was being a little rude to his partner and thank goodness Kat Deely (sp) said something about being anxious to see Jeanine's solo too.
Nothing like being a little prejudice about who they like.
It was obvious Philip wasn't going home.
I would have rather seen him go over Vitolio.
I think it was time for Karla to go.

I'm kind of disappointed in the show this year since the judges are definitely playing favorites.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:56 AM »
I thought Evan and Randi seserved to be in the bottom three too.  But they weren't and I do think it should have been Kuopono going over Vitolio as well. Kuopono has been the weaker dancer all along and his solo was pathetic. I didn't even need the judges to say anything after that. I was asking when he was going to start dancing. I think he was more interested in chosing a song from Hawaii than in chosing  a solos that would showcase his dancing
Benjamin Franklin

barbara

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
I completely agree with Sheryl that Phillip could have gove before Vitolio, and it looks like Bubu and I are on the exact same wavelength when it comes to SYTYCD!!

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
LOL maybe it is because we share the same name of Barbara :wink1
Benjamin Franklin