Author Topic: SYTYCD 7-29-09  (Read 1406 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
SYTYCD 7-29-09
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »
Pick your top two dancers and then tell us who should go home.
I can't believe this is almost over.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
Re: SYTYCD 7-29-09
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
I'm going to miss the finale :cry1 since I am on vacation next two weeks. I have my DVR set to record it and it better work,lol
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »
I hope nothing happens to your DVR while you're away.

Boy is it getting hard to decide who should win. I thought they all had their moments where they did well last night and the only one who actually stood out was Brandon when he did his solo.
That was one of the best solos of the season but I still prefer watching Evan's Broadway solos.

I was laughing to myself at what Nigel said at the beginning of the show since he basically said what I've been saying for a few weeks now and that's "no one stands out above the rest like in past seasons."
He also said because of it, people were probably judging the dancers based on the choreography. I think that's very true at least in my case.

So based on choreography and how well I thought someone danced, I'd have to put either Melissa or Jeanine in the bottom 2 for the girls and Ade and Evan in the bottom 2 for the boys even though I very much enjoyed watching Evan dance every dance.

I thought Brandon's solo was better then Evan's last night but I enjoyed Evans partner dancing better then Brandon's so because of that, I voted for Evan so I'm kind of contradicting myself by putting him in the bottom 2.

I'm sorry Barb, but Ade just didn't impress me last night. I was looking forward to seeing him do the Samba since that's a dance style that I like, but he looked stiff and mechanical like he was doing the cha, cha, cha, last week. I just don't think he's a very good ballroom dancer but there's other dances that he does quite well.
I didn't like the hip hop routine, but then I don't like hip hop and the choreography didn't wow me.

I was impressed with Melissa in the partner dancing but she's just not exciting when she's on her own.
Jeanine isn't bad but I don't see anything truly outstanding about her.
It was hard to enjoy her partner dancing last night since I didn't like the hip hop choreography and Ade kind of brought her down in the samba.

I think Kayla is the best female dancer. I thought she and Brandon did a good job with the contemporary dance but the disco just seemed too kaotic for me.
There was just too much going on so I didn't really enjoy it.

I have a feeling Kayla and Brandon will make it to the finale, but I'm really not sure who will join them. Tonight should be interesting.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:32:48 AM »
I haven't watched yet. I am okay with any of them winnig except Evan (sorry Sheryl, just don't enjoy his style of dance. He dances it well but just doesn't do anything for me).

I agree about Kayla being the best female dancer. Jeanette lwho left last week was right up there with her. I hope it won't be Kayla going tonight but she was in the bottom two alot
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
That's ok Barb. We don't all have to enjoy the same dance styles.
I too hope Kayla doesn't go home. That would be terrible since I think she's the best female dancer and Jeanette was a close second.
I don't think Melissa or Jeanine are bad dancers but I don't think they're quite as good as Kayla.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »
I am not happy Ade is gone  and Evan isn't but such is life. I  will be livid if Evan wins this thing but I can live with him being in the finale although I would much prefereed seeing Ade there. Better Ade than Brendan going though.    I was glad they at least got the girls right. Kayla is the best dancer there along with Brendan.  I hope Evan goes next and the final two are Kayla and Brendan. 
I was wondering about something. Remember when they were doing the auditions and Lil C and Mia were really nasty and disliked Brendan and then once ths show started they started to come around and now gushing over him.. I think it was a set up. I think it was all staged. In the past the really grat dancers who are classically trained (Danny and Will) the audience seemed to not like so much. I think maybe they were trying to make Brendan an underdog so the audience would root for him.  Not that he doesn't deserve it because he is brilliant, but I do think it was staged
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »
What is it about Ade that you like better then Brandon?
I personally think Brandon is the better dancer of the two although he's still not my favorite. His techniques seem better like when he does a turn, his arms look more like he's carrying a beach ball rather then hugging his chest like Ade does.
I was taught to place your hands like you're holding a beach ball, when you do a turn and don't keep them up against your chest. It looks as if Ade doesn't hold his hands that way but perhaps not all teachers teach the same techniques.

In any event, I felt bad for you when they said Ade was leaving because I know you like him but I clapped my hands when they said Evan was staying.
I just find him so entertaining.
BTW, my husband was watching with me last night. Normally he's not home so this may have been the first or second time he's seen the show and after Evan did his solo, he said, "I like that guy." He didn't say anything about anyone else, lol.
I guess we both enjoy the same dance styles. Maybe that's why we've been married nearly 37 years, lol.

I am so glad Kayla is in the finals. I don't think I'd be too upset if anyone of those 4 dancers won.

As to your question about the judges staging how they felt about Brandon from the beginning, I don't think so since Mary Murphy has loved Brandon from day one and has made it quite obvious. I think after awhile, all the judges decided they liked Brandon and were trying to promote him. Many weeks it seemed no matter how he danced, he got great reviews.
What I haven't liked is the fact that the judges were constantly telling Evan they figured he couldn't do something and then some of them seemed to pick on him more.
Lil C got me upset the other night when the three guys danced together. He raved about how well Ade and Brandon were and then talked about Evan like an after thought.
I don't think Lil C likes Evan's dance style so he never seemed to find anything really good about his dancing. I was glad when either Mary or Nigel or the both of them, gave different and better opinions on how Evan danced.

So next week should be good. I can't believe the season is almost over.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:08:21 AM »
I know Mary loved him but some of the judges had to say they like him or he would not have been put through. 
I do agree Brendan is a better dancer than Ade but Ade us a great dancer as well. I will be fine if any three won, I can't say I would be happy if Evan won but I will be glad for you if he does. 
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
Thanks but I have a feeling it will either be Kayla or Brandon.
Evan may appeal more to the older generation and I'm not sure if there's as many older viewers watching as there are younger ones, lol.
I grew up listening to and watching Broadway tunes and musicals so Evan is right up my alley.
When I was a child, I wanted to grow up to be in a musical where I could sing and dance. It sort of happened when I took private tap classes as a child.
My sister and I always sang the song we were dancing to first, then did our tap routine. Does that count, lol?
And we use to have our recitals at The Shubert Theatre which was a theatre where many professional performances were put on and still performances to this day.
For one of our recitals, my teacher asked me if I would sing while someone did a ballet dance so I did. I use to love to tell people I sang a solo at the Shubert Theatre, but the truth of the matter is, I operated a puppet behind a puppet stage and sang so no one actually saw me or probably paid much attention to my singing, lol, but it was fun thinking about the fact that I sang all by myself on that big stage.
I guess that's the extent of my dancing and singing career.
Sheryl

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »
LOL that is more than I have. I would have closed the theater down! :wink1 That is great that they did recitals at a real theater, how exciting for kids to do that
Benjamin Franklin

Puchie22

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Well my 2 favorites went home last week, Janette and Jason, however my other 2 favorites are Kayla and Evan. I like Brandon but I think its time a girl won. For the past couple of years hasn't a guy won? Oh, maybe not, I think I recall a black female winning the year before Joshua (who I loved) won. Anyway, I'm rooting for Kayla or Evan. I must agree with you Sheryl, I just love the way Evan dances. He reminds me a little of Gene Kelly, sort of the same style  :cool1 .

Maria
Maria

Today was just another day, until I thought of you!!!!

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »
He reminds me of a little Gene Kelly too. I use to love watching his movies.

Barb, not only were our recitals in a real theatre, we also danced to a live orchestra. They didn't have all those portable devices back then.
My teacher's mother played the piano for our lessons and an orchestra played for the recitals.
It was quite a production.

The dance class I'm in now uses CD's for their music. It's so different from when I was a kid.
Sheryl