Author Topic: SYTYCD 8-5-09  (Read 1290 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
SYTYCD 8-5-09
« on: August 05, 2009, 04:39:01 PM »
We're down to the end now so tell us who should win.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Re: SYTYCD 8-5-09
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »
I never would have believed this but I picked Jeanine to win. I think she has improved the most out of all of them and proved last night that she's a terrific dancer.
Her solo was the best out of all of them. Those pirouettes were just amazing. Such control especially in the way she slowed down the last one.
I thought her partner dancing was very good too.
I thought everyone did well in the partner dancing but I was disappointed in some of the solos and even more disappointed and annoyed with the judges since it was so obvious that they showed prejudice against Evan.
It seemed rather difficult for them to say anything nice about Evan. I got the impression that they wanted everyone to think he's a terrible dancer.

So why did Adam point out the fact that Evan's solo was similar to his audition solo, but didn't say anything about the fact that Brandon's solo was very similar to the solo he did last week only he wore board shorts instead of tight fitting pants?
And what about Kayla? The only person who actually commented on her solo was Mary when she said as kind of an after thought, "I liked your solo."
Adam said Kayla didn't showcase her talent in the solo and Nigel didn't say one word about how he thought she did. Probably because the solo wasn't much different from every solo she's done this year.
I think she's an amazing dancer but she brought nothing new to the table last night yet the judges praised her to the hill and put down just about everything Evan did.
I was waiting for the judges to say something about Kayla's kicks in the jive since they didn't look as sharp as Evan's but instead they told Evan his kicks weren't good, or something to that effect.

Maybe the judges comments bothered me so much because I enjoy watching Evan dance. I'd pay to watch him do a Broadway number before I'd pay to watch any of the other dancers dance in their dance style but that's me.
I'm just glad the crowd chanted "Evan, Evan." Obviously he's got a fan base or he wouldn't have gotten this far.

In any event, I think the dancer who least excites me out of the four is Brandon. Dancing without a shirt on and in either tight skimpy shorts or those baggy board shorts, just turns me off.
I think a dancer looks much more elegant and charming when they're dressed nicely.
But any one of those four could win and I'd be ok with it.
Sheryl

Puchie22

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 05:00:43 PM »
I was disapponinted also Sheryl on how the judges ragged on Evan. I love this guy and hope he surprises everyone by winning. Its obvious that the judges want either Jeanne or Brandon to win. I'd rather Jeanne win then Brandon. I voted for Kayla to win because I think she has done such an outstanding job from the beginning but I know she probably won't. I agree with everything you said regarding Evan. I too was glad that the audience chanted his name so the judges had to shut up when they did. It would be interesting to see if a girl wins this season. I am hoping that America realizes how much Mary and Nigel want Brandon to win so I hope someone else does. HA@  :duh

Maria
Maria

Today was just another day, until I thought of you!!!!

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
It seems obvious that right from the start, the judges wanted Brandon to win. I guess he can do no wrong in their eyes.
He's a good dancer but I don't think he stands out among the rest of them.
I'm sure the fact that he hasn't been my favorite plays a part in how I feel about the judges comments.
Now if they said those same things about Evan, I'd probably be whistling Dixie, lol.
Sheryl

barbara

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »
I voted for Kayla also because I think she's the one who has the best technique, she can do anything, and she is always right on the music.  I have never seen her do anything in a choreographed piece that isn't perfect. 

I take class with a lot of professional dancers.  Many of them know many of this year's contestants and none of them can believe that Evan is still in there.  He's an absolute sweetheart, charming, and fun to watch, but technically, he is nowhere near the others.  His range is very limited and his technique outside of Broadway is limited.  People do often vote against the judges though, so we'll see.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
For Evan fans like me, it wasn't so much about his technique but his style of dance. You can be great at hip hop or contemporary but that doesn't mean I'll enjoy watching you dance since I really don't care for those two styles of dance.
This show isn't about who has the best technique. It's about who's America's favorite dancer and I for one am so happy it ended up being Jeanine, primarily because of the judges.
I'm also happy that Evan didn't end up in 4th place. Again, because of the judges. I think they were very rude to him and put him down too much.
I especially didn't like it the week they commented on his eyes. They knew what his eyes looked like when they put him through to Hollywood so if he doesn't have the type of eyes that make a good dancer, not that I ever thought your eyes had something to do with how well you could dance, they shouldn't have put him through.
For someone like me who may not know all the correct techniques for all dance styles, I thought Evan did a great job and did what was asked of him and when you put all the dancers together, I don't see where anyone out shined another.

But back to who won. I was shocked when they said Jeanine, only because the judges made it seem as if Brandon was heads and shoulders above the rest, plus I went to look at that dialing site and it showed Evan in last place, Kayla 3rd place, Jeanine second, and Brandon winning.
I'm glad that site was wrong on all counts.

I'm sorry to see the show end but excited about the fact that their next season starts next month. I wonder if they'll have two seasons every year or if they're just changing the time of year for the show to start.
I hope it's two seasons since I love watching the dancers dance.

Oh and I forgot to say that I enjoyed seeing the judges come out and do a few steps to "One." I wish they had danced more.
Sheryl

barbara

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »
I agree with you, Sheryl that it is supposed to be America's favorite dancer, but the reason they have them dance in all those various styles is so we can see who can do the Tango, the Salsa, Hip Hop, Jazz, Contemporary, Waltz, Broadway, etc.  Being able to dance across genres is a premise of the competition--it's not simply irrelevant.  Many dancers have grown into an ability to dance in genres that are not their own, but if they don't, they usually get cut (i.e. Philip, Asuka, etc).  I agreed with the judges that Evan danced Broadway beautifully, and that's great, but I also agree with them that after 9 weeks, he should have shown more growth across genres if he deserved to stay in the competition, and in that aspect, he was lacking. Jeanine did grow tremendously--I really see a difference in her, and she was rewarded.  Kayla was perfect from the start, and Brandon was amazing from the first audition as well, so they had less road to travel. 

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
When the judges had some control over who should stay and who should go, they based their opinions on how well a dancer danced but a good portion of the people voting have no idea if a dance was done correctly. They just know what pleases them.
Kayla was in the bottom 3 a few times so there had to be something about her that people didn't like. Of course when we were voting on couples, if you were stuck with a partner that people didn't like, you could end up in the bottom 3 just because the public was trying to get rid of your partner.

I use to think the best dancer should win this contest until the judges and Cat started emphasizing that we were voting for our favorite dancer which meant it wasn't necessarily the person who danced the best or who adapted to ever dance style.
The judges have talked about how the dancers have to connect with their partners and connect with the audience in order to look good but that doesn't necessarily mean they're they best dancer.
Sometimes people can just have a certain personality that makes everyone love them no matter how well they dance. For me, Evan had that personality.

I am not an expert on ballroom dance or any of the styles they do on this show so I have to decide who I like based on whether or not they entertain me and a lot has to do with the choreography.
I have to say there were really only a handful of dances this year that really excited me. I was not at all impressed with some of the choreography so my opinion of the dancers was based a lot on their personality or their solos.

I hope the choreography is better this fall.
This is the first season I wasn't head over heals in love with any dancer.
Yes, I liked Evan, but not as much as I liked dancers from the previous seasons and it wasn't until the last judging show that I started to really like Jeanine.
I never would have thought I'd be rooting for her to win the other night but she proved to be an exciting dancer, at least for me.
Sheryl