Author Topic: Taking a survey  (Read 4183 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Taking a survey
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
Now that we've been at our new  home for a few days, I was wondering if there's anything you find easier then MSN or harder then MSN and if you prefer this layout to MSN?
What are some of the things you like about this site and what are some of the things you don't like.
If you don't like something, it's possible I can do something about it.
Just curious what you all are thinking.

Sheryl

WonderFuller

• MSN ID: - MissChanadelorBong-
Re: Taking a survey
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:57:29 PM »
I like that I can go directly to the newest posts in a thread without having to wade through ones I've already read.  I think by far, this is the biggest thing I'm liking.

I don't like that it shows how many posts you've created...I'm not a huge poster, but I don't want to be considered a "newbie" because I don't post 2,000 times a day, ya know?

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 06:09:34 PM »
I love everything about it. It is much easier than MSN and quicker. I love that the quick reply has options to change font and add emoticons without having to open a separate reply window.

I can't say there is anything I don't like about it except maybe that posting number thing. I wouldn't want people to feel intimidated because they don't post as often as others.  However, everyone just ignore that because we are NOT a community that will scold you if you don't post alot. We all know people are busy and the show runs in ebbs and flows where you may not be that interested in the show. I am having that problem now myself.   So don't sweat that feature.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Dizzydeni

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
I have not found a feature that I do not like yet.
Think of how different it would be if you never met the one person who changed everything.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
To tell you the truth, I don't normally look at how many messages a person posted.
It seemed exciting when a couple of our members reached a new level so I know we were making a big deal out of it, but it really makes no difference to me how many messages a person post.
If it did, I would have cancelled many memberships back on MSN.
We had over 5000 people join that site but there's no way they all posted and that was fine.
There's no rule here that says you have to post.
If you want to just read, that's fine. If you want to read and occassionally let us know what you think, that too is fine, and if you want to talk to your hearts content, lol,  we would all love to read what you have to say.

And speaking of talking, I'd love to hear from some more of you.
Anything else you like or don't like?

One thing that's been really nice for me is being able to post my message and have it actually appear.
I don't have to copy and paste what I typed so I don't have to type it a second time if it got lost in space before getting posted.
Hopefully we'll never run into blank pages, page not found, or message ending up in cyberspace.
Sheryl

barbara

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:53:33 AM »
I really like the banners that you've made to decorate the site and make it feel like the right place.  I also like that it tells me if there are any new postings on a topic that interests me.  I also like all the buttons on the screen, so you can easily change the font and add emoticons, etc.  In general, I just think this site is easier to use. 

I don't like that it tells me how many total hours and minutes I've been on.  And I don't like that I can't tell for sure that my e-mail address is hidden from the world. 

I was not excited about our move, but now I enjoy this site much more than the last :)

Barbara

Chell

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 07:31:39 AM »
Barbara,

I can not see your email address.  I also clicked on your name and it says your email address is hidden.

You can try it for yourself...click on my name "Chell" and it will take you to my profile.  Look about half way down the page where it says email.  It should say "hidden."

I hope that puts your mind at ease about the email addresses.
CHELL

nitgrit

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »
Actually, Chell, I did click on your name and it shows your e-mail addy (M_D_ etc.etc.) clear as day (I didn't put the whole addy here, just the start to show you I had it) ....I was wondering about that as I also selected to have it hidden and now realize it probably is showing up anyway. As for the rest of the site, I am not liking it as much as MSN, it seems confusing to try to 'refind' what I posted, too many moves to make, whereas on the old MSN site, my posts/replies showed up right away at the bottom of the current 'thread' . Here it seems I have to hunt around before finding my way back to the current day/time and the post I replied to...maybe it's just me but it seems a more complicated way of navigating through the posts and replies

Chell

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »
Actually, Chell, I did click on your name and it shows your e-mail addy (M_D_ etc.etc.) clear as day (I didn't put the whole addy here, just the start to show you I had it) ....I was wondering about that as I also selected to have it hidden and now realize it probably is showing up anyway. As for the rest of the site, I am not liking it as much as MSN, it seems confusing to try to 'refind' what I posted, too many moves to make, whereas on the old MSN site, my posts/replies showed up right away at the bottom of the current 'thread' . Here it seems I have to hunt around before finding my way back to the current day/time and the post I replied to...maybe it's just me but it seems a more complicated way of navigating through the posts and replies

You have to chose if you want your address kept private or public.  I have went in and changed my settings if you would like to check it again for your own piece of mind.  You shouldn't be able to see mine now.
CHELL

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »
I like this new board a lot. I love the added features of "show unread posts" and "show new replys", the calendar and being able to post polls and make improtant messages stay at the top. (that is a management feature)

It is also nice to be able to modify posts to remove spoiler info without having to copy, paste, edit, repost and then go delete the original. That is also a management feature.

And like Sheryl, I don't miss the quirkiness of msn one bit. Getting the "hmmmm...can't find that page" message and posts not going through.

What I do miss though is having the easy way of posting pictures that msn has. It is a lot harder in here and we have to keep the screen caps on anther board. I don't think I will be doing as many Add A Captions with this format as I used too. And I have only been able to get my animated .gif pics to work once.

Oh well, you can't have it all!
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
nitgrit, try posting a message and see if this is better for you.
I made a change for you that will make things seem more like msn.
After you post a message, you'll still have the thread open so you can see what you posted.

If anyone else prefers that setting, you can make the change yourself in your profile or I can do it for you.

Once you get the hang of things around here, you may want the option turned off.
Closing the thread makes things run faster. It eliminates one step in your reading and posting process.

Barbara, I'm glad you like how things look. I don't know if there's a way to turn off how long you've been logged on. I'll check on it though.
Sheryl

everybodysmile

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:17 PM »
I use to be on a board almost identical to this one and so it's a breeze for me.   I'm not a big one on banners that are posted on each and every post.   Right now there are not too many banners but if everyone posts them the page tends to be cluttered.   And then people get off topic saying things like oh what a clever banner.   Did you make it?  Yes, I did.   blah blah and the thread goes off topic.   
I might suggest that you add a board for polls only.   
I don't like seeing how many hours I've been on the board. lol

bettyrubblemom

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
I like this site!  Really easy to use so far! **tu**

nitgrit

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:54:25 AM »
Chelle said: You have to chose if you want your address kept private or public.  I have went in and changed my settings if you would like to check it again for your own piece of mind.  You shouldn't be able to see mine now.

Ok, yes I did check yours again and this time your addy was hidden, and since I also selected 'keep hidden' for my addy I will assume no one can see it. Thanks for the reply.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
I found out what I needed to do in order to get rid of the time logged in so I hope this is better.

Nitgrit, the members can't see your e-mail address but it will show for you when you're looking at your profile.
Sheryl