Author Topic: I need advice on a sick kitty!  (Read 1869 times)

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
I need advice on a sick kitty!
« on: April 11, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
One of my 5 year old Calico's, Callie took ill, suddenly.  Yesterday morning she raced to the food dish (I have 3,) and when they see me head to the kitchen it's like a stampede of cattle!  Anyway, I always check on them to see where they are before I leave for work.  Callie was on my bed.  When I got home last night I thought it was odd she never greeted me like the other two, they know when mommy comes home it's dinner time.  So I went to check on her and she was on the bed probably all day.  I tried to get her to eat but she wouldn't hear of it.  I placed some kitty malt on my finger and she lapped that up at least.  Then I saw her heading out of the bathroom, so I knew it was her who used the littler box to urinate, since I was in there half an hour earlier and Angel used it, so I cleaned it out.
This morning she was still in the same spot she was when I retired to bed, so I called the vet and I was able to bring her in.  They said she had a high fever, 104, and dehydrated, so they gave her antibiotics and IV fluids, and I was able to bring her home, some infection was going on I was told, and she had a sore throat (well, yours would be sore if you cried all the way to the vet's office).  How could they tell anyway?  I had to leave her  at home berfore I went to go to work, but left early so I was relived to see she seemed to perk up a bit she came to her food dish, and looked at it, I coaxed her to eat a few dry morsels, and then the phone rang, so I didn't know how much she ate, since her sis Coco is a pig!  I have been giving her water  a few times in an eye dropper every couple of hours, and letting her lick a tiny bit of the kitty malt.  I have to bring her back to the vet's in the morning.  So, my question to you cat lovers out there, is there anything else I can do for her tonight?  I will check in later this evening and first thing in the morning.  She is my baby, and I feel terriable that she is sick.  thanks for any advice I can get.
Rose

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.

PreciousGem

Re: I need advice on a sick kitty!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
Awe, I hope Callie feels better soon.  It seems like your doing the right thing by making sure she is drinking fluids and some food.  I'm sure the vet will tell you if there is anything else you can do for her.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:44:08 PM by PreciousGem »

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
AWWW I am sorry Rose, I hope she is better soon. I don't know anything about cats, what on earth is cat malt? Never heard of it.  Just make sure she eats and gets plenty of fluid and keep a s=close eye on her to make sure she isn't getting listless again. I hope she gets better soon.   LMAO @ the sore throat from crying all the way to the vet!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »
Today the vet checked her temp and it only dropped a tiny bit.  Yesterday it was 104.9 today 104.  She ate a tiny bit last night and this morning, and she seemed to perk up when I brought her home, but then I had to go to work, and tonight she isn't eating!  I have opened up so many different cans of cat food, she usually eats the dry and if her throat is still sore I thought the moist would be better.  I will try the kitty malt, it's a sweet syrupy mix that comes in a tube.  My Angel doesn't like it but my two Calico's do.  I am really worried about her.  I will give her some water in the eye dropper like I did last night, and I have to bring her back in the morning, he gave her Penicillin and another antibiotic today.
Rose

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:29 PM »
wow that is a really high temp. Did he say anything else tot ry to bring the temp down? Poor baby.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

nitgrit

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:47:28 PM »
I hope your kitty starts to get better soon.

PreciousGem

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »
Did the vet say what maybe causing her fever? Did they do bloodwork?

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
Good question Precious gem? He should have at least on the second trip. At least I think he should.  How is Callie doing Rose?
Benjamin Franklin

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
The good news is her temp today was normal, the bad news I never got to see the vet because he was in surgery.  They did give her more IV fluids and want me to bring her back tomorrow.  I was upset, and they assured me it wasn't to soak me for more money, they just wanted to make sure the temp stayed down, but I have to get her to eat. I told them it's not the money, it's very stressful for her as well as me!  She weighs a ton, and on top of the carrier and her, my back, neck, and shoulders are killing me, and it breaks my heart to hear her cry.  But funny story, there was a cat who "lives" at the clinic and she came over to check Callie out and my girl hissed at her! :bgrin   My girlfriend came over today and we gave her some canned cat food mixed with water in an eye dropper, that didn't go over very well, but she did take it from my fingers later in the day.  She actually ate a bit of her dry food, not ver much. I tried tuna, no luck, but I put the tuna water in the eye dropper and I am giving her that.  Tomorrow I will ask if blood work should still be done, even if she seems to be a little better.  It just is so upsetting, I could tell the other two, Callie's sister Coco especially seems stressed too and Angel is just jealous.  Thank you for all your thoughts.  I am learning alot about cats.   My Princess (who was a diluted long hair Calico, was only sick twice, the first time I could tell she had a urinary tack infection when I saw her squintinfg her eyes and crying in the kitty litter box, (if you don't get them in on time they can die) and then towards the end of her life, she lost so much weight and she had Leukemia.
Rose

PreciousGem

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
The vet should still do bloodwork only because they need to find out what has been causing her fevers. 

I do hope she gets better soon. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:07 PM »
I just wanted to let you know Callie is much better, she did not need any fluids this morning, theys aid she was well hydrated, she is eating better, she actually lost half a pound, which is good in one way, she still needs to loose at least three more!

I have antibiotics to give her at home, until the liquid is all used up.  To be ont he safe side I am still goiong to give her water in an eye dropper, it's hard to tell who is drinking, since I have two others and I can't watch them 24/7.

Did I see the Vet?  No, so no blood work was ever done!  I appreciate all your concern.  I hope this crisis is nipped in the bud.
Rose

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
Me too the antibiotics  must be working so I wouldn't worry too much about the blood work unless something else happens.  Give her the antibiotics as prescribed, don't stop them because she is better.  Glad she is eating and drinking . She should be her old self soon. Give her kisses from me
Benjamin Franklin

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »
Barb thank you so much!  Callie is more like her old self, she is eating, grant you not lots, but eating and I've caught her drinking water on her own from the water bowl.  I will give her all the meds until the bottle is used up.  What a relief.  I was so worried.
Rose

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
I am so glad/ Pets are so much a part of your life, hard not to be worried when something happens. They are so dependent on you to take care of them and it is hard because they can't tell you what is wrong.  She should be back to her old self in a few days.
Benjamin Franklin

PreciousGem

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
Hi! Rose

How's Callie doing?