Author Topic: Size for Profile picture?  (Read 2501 times)

WonderFuller

• MSN ID: - MissChanadelorBong-
Size for Profile picture?
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
I had my daughter's picture as my profile pic, but decided to change it to one of me and my husband.  However, the site will not let me upload it from my computer and I'm wondering why not as my daughter's picture was from my computer too).

Is there a size limit?  I pulled the picture from my facebook account, but it was squished funny, so I took it off.

Help!

WonderFuller

Re: Size for Profile picture?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
this is what pops up when I try to upload from my computer

"The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved. "

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
I have been getting that lately too. Anyone have any ideas as to why that is? I wanted to switch to a valentine avatar.
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Chell

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
I got the same thing when I tried changing my picture.  Maybe something Sheryl did without realizing it.  Sheryl, any help here?
CHELL

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
I've noticed those errors and it's possible it has something to do with the size.
I'll look into it and get back to you all.
Sheryl

WonderFuller

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 11:17:08 PM »
Thanks Sheryl!

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:56 PM »
I'm trying to check into it. I see other people have run into this problem so I'm trying to find out why it might have happened.
BTW, if I'm reading things correctly, it appears at this moment, I have x amount of space allotted for attachments which include avatars. It's possible that once that space is gone, you won't be able to upload any more avatars or files to this site so it might be safer to upload your pictures to a site like photobucket and then copy the url to this site.
Now it's possible I can up the alloted space however, I have x amount of space total for the entire site and may need that space for posting messages.
And, if people try copying and pasting pictures that have been uploaded here to another site, they steal my bandwidth.

So far we seem good with bandwidth use and I have lots of space on this site, but I'd like to keep things that way so the site will run smoothly.

In any event, I'm looking into all of this and when I get some answers from the help sites, I'll get back to you.
Oh and this time I didn't make any changes, lol, so I have no idea why some of you are having this problem.
Sheryl

WonderFuller

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »
ok, I'll try and resize my picture here and upload it to my facebook account and see if that helps with the squishy picture problem.    Just let us know what you find out.

Thanks again.

WonderFuller

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:07:34 AM »
ok, I resized the picture so it was square and uploaded it to my facebook account and just linked it from there.  It is weird cause my old picture wasn't resized and I had no issues with squished faces...hmmmmmmm...anyway.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »
The avatar default size is 65x65 so in order to have a picture look good, it's best to use that size, however, the upload program "is suppose to resize" the picture for you if it's too big. Why it's not doing that, I'm not sure.
I belong to a group who's owner writes scripts for many of the layouts for smf so she obviously knows what she's doing in regard to smf forums, and I had the same squishy problem at her site where as other people didn't.

I'm glad you were able to get the picture to show up and BTW, it's a lovely picture but I'm still trying to find out why you were having problems.
Sheryl

asheryl

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »
I think you can now upload avatars from your computer, however, I may end up blocking this option because of storage space and bandwidth use.
Right now I'm logged in with a second, non administrators account because I wanted to see if I could upload an avatar.
It worked but I'll probably be removing it.
And as you can see, if I don't remove it before you do see it, the size got proportioned correctly however the one I added from photobucket is distorted.
Sheryl
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:28:21 PM by asheryl »

WonderFuller

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 01:41:50 AM »
yep, I do see the difference Sheryl.  You can get rid of that option if you want.  I'll just have to remember to upload a square picture to my facebook account if I want a new avitar... :tu:

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
I'm trying to come up with a better option. In the meantime, I may keep it so that people can upload a file.
I'm also trying to find out why a picture gets distorted when you add it from photobucket or an outside on line source.
Sheryl

hyattsfolly

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 12:11:29 PM »
Thanks Sheryl
😜 Melinda 😜

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »
Yep.