Author Topic: Read if you like  (Read 3663 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Read if you like
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »
This alert is no longer necessary however if you haven't read it, you may want to so I'll leave it.
I'm hoping to upgrade this forum to a new version On Sunday morning, or the beginning of next week. I think you may enjoy one of it's new features and that's being able to see some of the options you pick on the taskbar appear as you're typing rather then after hitting preview or posting your message.
It's called WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get.) It works similar to the taskbar on msn. If you picked a font type and started typing, you'd see your message with this new font. This now will be the case with the upgrade.

During the upgrade, the site will be down for awhile. Hopefully not more then a few minutes if all goes well.
You will get a message saying the site is under maintenance, when I do this upgrade so just come back in a little while.

In the event things don't go well, I'm going to give you a couple sites you can check out or join, in case I make a complete mess of things.
Hopefully everything will run smoothly.
I've installed this newest version on two sites now and the installs went smoothly, however they were new installs and not upgrades so it's not exactly the same procedure.

One of the new installs is my Sherylspage site. If you were once a member there, you're not any longer because I wiped it out and set it up as a new install.
If you want to check it out and try some of the new features, here's the address.
http://www.sherylspage.com/smf/
I set up a test board where anyone can post a message and reply, even as a guest.
However, you have to put in a name and an e-mail address. I believe this is just for security reasons and doesn't get displayed. In fact, you can probably use an invalid e-mail address as long as it looks like it's valid.

This may end up being one of our back up sites for Days so you might want to bookmark it.

This is my free smf site which is also a back up site. Some of you have joined this site when I thought we might use it.
http://daysofourlives.smfforfree3.com/

Just be sure to bookmark one of those site or check one of those sites in the event you can't open this site.

With this upgrade, I'm sorry to say but you may lose your avatar, if you were one of the lucky ones who's been able to upload one.
I'm hoping this upgrade will fix the uploading attachment problem we've been having.
I will be replacing the attachment and avatar folders with new folders in the hopes it will fix things.
Please be sure you have your avatar saved some place.
You will have to upload it again, once the upgrade is done..... or maybe not since I'm really not too sure how this is all going to work.  ???
I've set up a test site which I'll experiment on. Hopefully I'll have everything figured out when I upgrade this site.
Once I upgrade that test site, I'll have a better understanding of the process and how long it might take so I'll try and keep you posted.

If you have any questions about this upgrade, just ask. If you're using an avatar and want me to save it for you, please let me know and I'll put it in a folder I created at the photobucket screencap page.

Sheryl
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:47:25 AM by Sheryl »

mamarita

Re: Please read and sign
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »
good luck sheryl, I'm sure everything will go smoothly.

mamarita

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »
Okey, Dokey! :tu:
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Chell

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:39:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Sheryl.

CHELL

scfreed

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work on this.
scfreed

masonmama

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
Sounds great Sheryl--Thanks! :tu:

sweetpea

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:03:07 PM »

Good luck, Sheryl!

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to read and sign this.
I  just don't want anyone to get shocked if for some reason the site won't open.
There will be at least a short span when the site will say it's under maintenance.
Sheryl

Glee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
OK Sheryl - go for it! I'm sure you will get this working somehow - you are a wizard at this stuff. :tu:

barbara

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
It's sounds like a great upgrade!  Thanks! :)

hyattsfolly

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Sounds Terrific Sheryl.  Thanks again for all the hard work you do to keep this site so great!
😜 Melinda 😜

doolmom

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 06:40:58 PM »
I'm sure things will go well. My fingers are crossed though. Thanks for the heads up.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 07:57:33 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, lol.
I too am sure we'll get this site working again. My biggest fear is we lose something or someone along the way.
I will be backing everything up before I do anything.
Sheryl

Daysnet Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:13:34 PM »
Appreciate all your hard work.  I love all the photos and especially the kissing scenes.  Sure there's not enough romance for my liking and half the couples SHOULD NOT be together but it's DAYS and since I've been a fan for over 38 years and I might not watch it any more - I still love a good photo.  Thanks,

everybodysmile

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:22:51 AM »
Good luck.  It sounds challenging.