Author Topic: Upgrade complete  (Read 3764 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Re: Upgrade complete
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
I like it too because I like to see what my message should look like before I post it.
I will sometimes preview my message, just to be sure my image showed up or a smiley showed up.
And I too have never seen this option on message boards like this. This was my main reason for upgrading to this version.
It's still in Beta so we could run into a bug or two but it seems to be working ok.

I could have gone with the update for the version I was using but the only changes in that update had to do with security issues.
In any event, I needed to do something since my administration panel kept reminding me I was using a version with security flaws and it needed to be updated.
Sheryl

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
Trying out the WYSIWIG.

Hot diggity Dog!!!!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:44:12 AM by Kris-SB »
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
Hi Sheryl,  you deserve a medal for all you do for us! 
Rose

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:57 PM »
I don't know about that Rose, but thanks.
So Kris, do you like the WYSIWYG editor?
Sheryl

Dizzydeni

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
Okey dokey.....You are the best!
Think of how different it would be if you never met the one person who changed everything.

Chell

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
Sheryl

I don't know about Kris but I know I do.
CHELL

Chell

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 06:45:27 PM »
Sheryl,

Are the BBC codes going to be put back into the signature area so we can use them with our fancy dancey  ;D signatures?  I do not know them and would like to mess around with my signature a little bit.  Thanks!
CHELL

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:52 PM »
Sheryl

I don't know about Kris but I know I do.

Kris does.  ;D
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Glee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »
Hmm - the option of "add image" is no longer at the bottom here - will we be able to upload from our computer any more? (no, I am not using the quick reply box, I am using the regular one.)

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
If you hit the "Reply" in the blue bar below the last message of a thread you will see an "Additional Options" link to the left of the message box. If you click on it you will see an attach option with a browse button. The graphic you attach will look a little different but it will still work.

I will attach something to show you.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:43:40 AM by Kris-SB »
Kris (Snow~Belle)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
Kris, I'm going to try and discourage people from using that option, only because the images end up being stored on my host site and use up space I'm allowed to use for the plan I'm paying for.
Right now I still have a lot of space but if many people use that option, it could go quickly, plus I'm worried about bandwidth theft.
A lot of people don't realize when they copy and paste a picture from one site to another, they're stealing bandwidth.
Plus it slows down the server.

We have to kind of think of this site like a hard drive on your computer.
If you load it up with lots of programs and graphics, it will eventually reach it's maximum and get very slow.
Unlike msn, you can't keep track of what you've uploaded to the site.
I can do it as an administrator and would have to start deleting attachments if too many get uploade.
So as I said, I'd like to discourage people from uploading attachments.

Getting back to Glee's question about the program we used before the  upgrade. I'm trying to figure out why I can't get it to work here. I tested it out on a test site and it worked fine.
I'm hoping someone can help me out in a help site.

In the meantime, here's a link to the site.
http://www.postimage.org/
The link doesn't have to be at the bottom of a post in order to work. You'll just have to copy and paste the codes into the post on your own.

When you click that link, you'll get the same window you would have gotten if the "add image to post" link was at the bottom of a message.
Copy and paste the first set of codes into a message.
It will have all the proper BBCs needed to show the image in a post.

Here's a link to another photo upload site I'm considering.
It works the same way but all images seem to change to a jpg once they're uploaded so if you're trying to upload an animated gif, it won't move.

http://www.xtupload.com/new/index.php

If you try this second program, copy and paste the code for "direct link to image" into the insert image pop up window in a message and your picture will appear.

Chell, I haven't forgotten about you, lol.
I'm also looking into whether or not I can add that same feature but in the meantime, if you click the help button on the taskbar, and then click "Posting" and scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find all the BBCs that will work with the signature box.

If you need any help with that, let me know.
If you want to type out your signature in a post and show me how you want it, I can do it for you if you get confused.
Sheryl

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »
Ok, here's the deal with the add image to post.

Apparently it won't work with the WYSIWYG editor turned on.
So we have a couple options.
One, we get rid of the option to allow you to post images through postimage.org, or two, we keep it, and if you want to upload an image this way, you go into your profile and under "Look and Layout," you take the check mark out of the box next to "Show WYSIWYG editor on post by default" and save changes.
Once you've sent your post, you can go back in and turn the WYSIWYG editor back on by taking the check mark out of the box.

I don't think it really hurts to leave it. It's not like it takes up a lot of space, plus for the moment, it fills up that big empty hole to the left of the quick reply box, lol.

Sheryl

Gerri

• MSN ID: MysticDachshund
    • The Munchkins!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 01:35:49 AM »
Testing one two three four.....  Oh, cool!  I love this!!

Thank you, Sheryl!!

One question - if we upload from Photobucket, does that take up space on your server, too?  If so, not a problem.  Just thought I'd ask and find out.  :)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
Nothing from photobucket takes up space.
Anything that's added to this site but stored on an outside source (other then your computer), will not take up space.

The upload feature for this site is the only way you can add to my storage allowance since it's getting stored here rather then an outside source.

Does that make sense?

And I'm glad you like the WYSIWYG feature.
Sheryl

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »
Ok, I won't use that feature any longer. I will go back and edit that example out of my other message.
Kris (Snow~Belle)