Author Topic: Please introduce yourself  (Read 12106 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Please introduce yourself
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
Welcome to the group.
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us how you found us.
I'll start off by giving you a little history of how I got involved in message boards.
I believe I got my first computer in 1997. At that time, MSN had groups that were called MSN Classic. I suppose you could say it was similar to the groups they're using today only they were controlled by MSN and used volunteers to monitor the message boards.
You had to have an account with MSN in order to use this service.
MSN closed down Classic and created Newsgroups. Newsgroups were accessed through a mail server and anyone with a mail server could subscribe to a newsgroup.
MSN created a newsgroup for Days of our Lives and when they did this, I was asked to be a volunteer for the group which meant I needed to monitor the message board and be sure everyone was "playing nice". ;)
I reported to someone who was paid by MSN. I myself was given a free internet account with MSN for being a volunteer only that was back in the days of dial up, and their service never worked well in my area so I paid for my own ISP.
In the late 90's, MSN closed down their newsgroups and set up a format similar to what they have today. Again this was run by MSN but they hired volunteers to monitor their boards. I was again asked to monitor the Days group.

Then in 2000, MSN closed the msn run groups and gave us the ability to set up our own privately run groups which is what is still running today and will end up closing in another month.
They didn't start off being called "groups" but the format has always been the same.
I myself started off in a group run by another Days fan but in 2001, I formed Days of our Lives 2 on msn.
Now that the groups are closing, it's time to find a new home for all the fans I've met along the way.
I'm hoping this becomes our new home and everyone will be as happy here as they were with msn.
Actually, I'm hoping we have less headaches so maybe we'll all be happier. ;D
Sheryl

OurGreatMa

Re: Please introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »
I live in Florida and love wearing shorts and sandals almost all year round. 
I have three grandchildren and two daughters.
I have the most wonderful sons- in- law a girl could have.
They take such good care of me.

I tutor at my grandchildren's school three days a week,
I tutor in five different classes.
It is great to make such a difference in a childs life, there is nothing like it.
At the beginning of this year I had a child who could not pass a reading test if you gave them the answers.
The other day they came running up to me letting me know they got a 10 out of 10 on the test.
It makes the hard work all worth while.
I love what I do and being with the kids is great!

OurGreatMa

OurGreatMa

barbelle

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »
Hi,
I posted now and then on the Days2 group as "grammatobrady". I'm "barbelle" now because I work in a gym and I'm a woman...get it?...bar, belle. I thought it was rather clever.  I was a bartender and cocktail waitress for 35 years and barbelle would work for that, also.LOL  I retired from bartending because I developed tendonitis in my feet and torn miniscus and arthritis in both knees and couldn't stand for long periods of time anymore!  So now I work in a gym and get a free membership so I'm trying to get healthy and strong so I'll be around for a long time. 

Anyway, I'm 54 and the VERY happily divorced mother of two married daughters. I live in an in-law apt. with my oldest daughter, my wonderful son-in-law and my only, (so far), grandchild, a two and a half year old amazing boy named Brady.  I never imagined being a grandma would be so much fun! I live in their house so I see my little guy every single day and I'm the luckiest kind of grandma.

I've watched DOOL since Julie was falling in love with Doug after he got out of jail. I think Addie set them up, or something, and then Addie fell in love with him, too. Anyway, it's been a long time...sometimes I love it, sometimes I wonder why I still watch! LOL  Hopefully, it'll be on for a long, long time, but it doesn't look too good for the future of Days.  I know that I'll watch, tho', till the very end.

If this turns out to be our new "home", the best of luck and congratulations.

barbelle
barbelle

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
Great ma, that's such wonderful news about one of the kids you tutor.
Barbelle, I'm glad you joined our group and hope you'll share your opinions, good or bad, about the show with us.
And thanks for the congratulations on our new home. It's looking as if this place will be it.
Sheryl

crudscraper

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
Just wanted to say I just joined.  I love MSN and will miss it very much.  I hope this site becomes as easy as MSN is to navigate.  Just want you to know Sheryl, I love Days2.  It is a great board to be involved with!!
SHEILA

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »
Thanks Sheila and I'm glad you joined our new group.
I hope everyone will like this place as much as they liked our site on msn.
Sheryl

Teachmichigan

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 11:28:47 PM »
I posted sporadically on the MSN board, but I've been a religious Days watcher for close to 20 years.  I lurked a lot on the other boards, but certainly didn't want to lose track of this group.  It's definitely one of the best for discussing Days, and Sheryl is a fantastic moderator!  ;D  Thanks for our new home!
Teachmichigan

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »
Thanks and you're welcome Teach and I'm glad you joined us here.
Sheryl

doolmom

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:31:21 PM »
I've been with Days2 since 2003 and don't post a lot but I'm trying to do better. I am very tied up with my own Days group most of the time. I do read the messages pertaining to Days as the show has been a big part of my life for 43 years. Even more so now that I have become disabled and home bound. LOL It just gives me more time to devote to my favorite show. I love Days though I am not really happy with it right now and what is going on. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in what they consider the North Bay. I am about 2 hours drive from the city by the bay. I love it as I am still in the country and now in my own little place on the family home property and my daughter and her family have the main house.  I am looking forward to the continued sharing in this our new home. Thanks Sheryl for all you do and have done.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »
You're welcome doolmom and I'm glad you joined our group.
Sheryl

everybodysmile

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:02:11 AM »
Well Sheryl, that was strange.  Before it took a lot more information and said there would be an email sent to me.   This time I just put my screen name, password, etc. and here I am.
My user name was justmeplayingmypiccolo but I've changed it to everybodysmile.   :)  Just call me Thea.   
I've watched Days since it came on air.   During my working years before VHS recorders, my mom would keep me up to date.   That was also before Internet.  And also before colored TV.   
Obviously I'm am old timer as I was an adult when Days came on the air.   
I enjoyed discussing Days with my mom, but she is no longer with us and so the discussion board sort of helps me fill that void.   

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »
I'm glad you made it Thea.
BTW, my dad got me started on Days and I loved to talk about the show with him too. He stopped watching it before he passed away because he got upset with the fact that they weren't using some of the older characters like Doug, Julie, Alice, and Tom.
When I get upset with the show for showing more of the younger generation, I think about my dad and finally realize why he stopped watching the show.
Sheryl

Dizzydeni

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »
I am Dizzydeni and I am happy to meet you all.  I reside in NY, with my beautiful family, including my lifelines, my three grandsons.

Think of how different it would be if you never met the one person who changed everything.

WonderFuller

• MSN ID: - MissChanadelorBong-
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »
My name is Stephanie and I live in Illinois and I just turned 29 yesterday.  I am a 3rd generation Days watcher (my mom and I still discuss Days on the phone every once and a while).  I'm so happy I found the MSN group because I like having other people to discuss it with other than my mom.  My husband laughs about my "stories" so I can't talk to him about it...lol.  On the MSN group board, my screen name was -MissChanandelorBong-, but because all of my MSN groups are moving, I had to change my name because it was too long and I want consistent  names on all my boards (I belong to a few TTC/Mommy boards).  I'm currently staying at home with my daughter (3) and working part time at CJ Banks at the mall nights and weekends.  I don't get on the boards every day, but I try to post when I can.  Thanks for having me!

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
Hi Stephanie. Happy belated birthday!
It's nice to see another familiar face.
Sheryl