Author Topic: I lost today's messages  (Read 2608 times)

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
I lost today's messages
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:59:06 AM »
I thought I'd take care of some technical problems that needed to be taken care of with this site tonight and inadvertently wiped out the site yet again today.
Unfortunately I didn't do a backup, just before making a couple changes since I didn't think they would cause any problem but then did.
So all messages posted during the day today have been lost.

I'm so sorry.
I had tested everything that needed to be done on a test site and had no problems so I figured I'd be safe until I got to some major changings but for some reasons, things didn't go smoothly on this site.

Well It's late now so I can't worry about this any more tonight.
Sheryl

Chell

Re: I lost today's messages
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:39:53 AM »
Thanks for posting this Sheryl.  I was looking for the DOOL Wheel of Fortune 13 that I started yesterday and was starting to think I was losing my mind because I couldn't find it.
CHELL

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »
No, you didn't lose your mind.
A lot of things are not right at this moment and I have to leave for a dance class so I can't work on anything. Plus, I'm looking for some guidence on where I go from here now that I've made such a mess of everything.

Hopefully I'll have this straightened out by the end of the day.
Sheryl

Vangelique140

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
I'm glad I read this.   I thought I was losing my mind, too!    I knew I had commented on many posts yesterday (slow day at work...)  and now they are gone.

I was trying to remember if I said anything offensive that a manager would erase, but I didn't think I did. 

Sheryl, you have done a wonderful job with this board.   don't beat yourself up for technical problems and glitches.  You have to remember that you are not in Salem, and you cannot just press a button and have everything perfect....  LOL

Chell

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »
I'm glad I read this.   I thought I was losing my mind, too!    I knew I had commented on many posts yesterday (slow day at work...)  and now they are gone.

I was trying to remember if I said anything offensive that a manager would erase, but I didn't think I did. 

Sheryl, you have done a wonderful job with this board.   don't beat yourself up for technical problems and glitches.  You have to remember that you are not in Salem, and you cannot just press a button and have everything perfect....  LOL

I second what Vangelique said.  You are doing a superluciousdoublelucious job as far as I am concerned so just take a deep breath and let it sit for a day if you need to and come back to it tomorrow if need be.
CHELL

hyattsfolly

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
I'm glad I read this.   I thought I was losing my mind, too!    I knew I had commented on many posts yesterday (slow day at work...)  and now they are gone.

Sheryl, you have done a wonderful job with this board.   don't beat yourself up for technical problems and glitches.  You have to remember that you are not in Salem, and you cannot just press a button and have everything perfect....  LOL

I second what Vangelique said.  You are doing a superluciousdoublelucious job as far as I am concerned so just take a deep breath and let it sit for a day if you need to and come back to it tomorrow if need be.

No problem.  I wouldn't know what was missing cuz I have a disease called CRS ( can't remember sh*#) and it strikes at every opportunity....lol
😜 Melinda 😜

Chell

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »
I'm glad I read this.   I thought I was losing my mind, too!    I knew I had commented on many posts yesterday (slow day at work...)  and now they are gone.

Sheryl, you have done a wonderful job with this board.   don't beat yourself up for technical problems and glitches.  You have to remember that you are not in Salem, and you cannot just press a button and have everything perfect....  LOL

No problem.  I wouldn't know what was missing cuz I have a disease called CRS ( can't remember sh*#) and it strikes at every opportunity....lol

I thought I was the only one that had CRS.    :bgrin
CHELL

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »
LOL Melinda. I wonder if that disease is contagious since I think I too have it.

And thanks for understanding.
I always feel terrible if I've done something that effects someone else.
Running this board is so different from msn since I control everything through a program on my host site.
The only way I could truly mess up our site on msn is if I went into the managers sections and said "delete" the site.
I could delete messages and kick people out of the site but doing that wouldn't hurt the structure of the site.
Here, I control that structure and need to be sure everything is in working order.
I get an error log for the forum and an error log for my host site and certain errors need to be fixed when they pop up which is now the case for this site.

One of these days I'll get it straight.
The plus side of making all these mistakes and trying different things is it helps me to learn how things actually work.

I knew it was important to make regular backups but I guess I was testing my luck last night when I tried to make some changes without first doing the backup.
I'm going to "try" and not make that same mistake again.
No matter how trival a change I need to make, I'll make a backup. In fact, I'm going to do more routine backups during the course of the day.

Now I need to get some screencaps done and for some reason, the program I use to capture shots isn't seeing my DVD.
Hopefully a reboot will fix that.
Sheryl

hyattsfolly

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
Sheryl you have done an amazing job here.  You have worked so hard to figure how to adapt this totally new site into something we can all easily use and it's absolutely fabulous.  I wouldn't have known where to begin had I been you, because I have ever worked putting any group together except on MSN.

KUDOS to you!

😜 Melinda 😜

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
Thanks Melinda. I hate letting people down and that's what I feel like I did with this latest mess up.
I suppose there's worst things in life then losing a day's worth of thoughts but it's frustrating since I should have known better then to let this happen.
I've been trying to find a time when it looks as if the site is empty to make some changes that need to be made and I jumped on the opportunity last night when I saw no one was here.
I was rushing since I wanted to be sure I got everything done before someone tried to open the site and like the saying goes, "haste makes waste."
I cut out one of the most important steps and that's doing a backup.

Sheryl

Vangelique140

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »
Sheryl, I thought I said to stop beating yourself up.  Here's a dope slap through the computer upside your head!
   :duh

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that this board is terrific --- little glitches and all.   it's fun and relatively easy to use, even for those of us who aren't super-duper computer knowledgeable.   The best part is that we all can still talk about the show we love to hate!!!!!  and it is a good group of people!    and now here is a major pat on the back for you!
 :awesome :angel1 :cool1 :great

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
Thanks for saying that. It really helps to make me feel better.

As to the mess I made, I believe I've gotten things straightened out so I'm in the process of adding back all the little add ons that we once had.

You will notice the option to add image to post at postimage.org is back along with the WYSIWYG quick reply box.

I've got several more addons to add but I wanted to test these two out before I go further.
So let's see if I can add a picture.

Yes, it works.

Sheryl

Chell

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
Thanks for putting the WYSIWYG feature back on.  I didn't think I would like it but was missing it earlier especially in the quick reply box.
CHELL

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 06:14:08 PM »
You're welcome.
I may have to hold off on the BBC in the signature area because this mod really isn't programed to work with this version.
I want to be sure everything else works right before I add that back.
I have to do some manual changes in order to get it to work and then it still kicks out errors so I'm not sure it's a good idea to use it.
I think I'll check with some of the smart people and see what they say, lol.
Sheryl

hyattsfolly

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »
 :cool1 :victory
😜 Melinda 😜