Author Topic: Posts are no longer able to be modified or removed?  (Read 1703 times)

everybodysmile

Posts are no longer able to be modified or removed?
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:11:23 PM »
It appears to me that we are no longer able to modify messages or remove them.    I know when I post a caption this that I have to modify it a couple times before I get it right.   
 Oh, I found where it is.   I thought it was located above the post before.   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 02:13:30 PM by everybodysmile »

Chell

Re: Posts are no longer able to be modified or removed?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
I thought it was located above the post too.

It is on my screen.  Could be Sheryl doing some more modifications.
CHELL

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
As far as I know, it's in the same place it always was.
Sheryl

nitgrit

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
I can see where to modify a post; but I thought there used to be 'remove button' in case we posted something then changed our minds and wanted it gone....did I imagine that, or was that option taken away. Also, if we post something, then hit 'modify' and we delete everything we wrote on that post and post it again - will that remove it (might be a silly question, just trying to find a logical way to make a post disappear - if I wanted it to - LOL).

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
Hi nitgrit. There was a time when you could remove your post completely but when certain members used that feature, it became apparent that we couldn't allow this any more because it ended up making things confusing for the members who didn't read a message that got deleted but could only read responses.
There were a bunch of post responding to messages that were no longer there which made these post confusing.

If you change your mind about something you posted and no one responded, you may pm a manager and ask us to remove it but if people have responded to your post and you decide you want to change something, you'll have to modify your post but you really shouldn't change the context completely, if someone made a comment about something you said.
It's kind of like saying you don't respect someone's opinion if you delete a post because let's say someone didn't respond the way you hoped they would.
Does this make sense and do you understand why that feature needed to be removed?

We still allow you to modify your post but if that gets abused, we may have to rethink things.
Sheryl

nitgrit

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
I agree up to a point, I am not talking about removing a post that has been sitting there for awhile. I am talking about at the moment of creating a post and hitting Post, and like two seconds later realizing it was in error and wanting to remove something stupid....way before any other posters have read it or responded. Do you see my point .... it takes away a certain amount of freedom for the poster to manage a post immediately. Once I post something and I leave it on the board, I am not going to delete it hours or days later (after other people responded to it). It's unfortunate if a few have abused that feature (deletion) and the rest of us who are responsible have to be lumped in with them. But, then again that seems to be the way of the world these days.  I would rather manage my own posts and not have to alert a manager to remove it for me, since that could mean the post could be sitting there awhile before a manager responds and is available to take care of it (and having other people surely see it in that time frame) - sort of plays into exactly what you didn't want happening. Since I am just a 'poster' here, I will have to abide by whatever rules are in place. I will make sure I think twice before typing and posting anything then.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:31:23 PM by nitgrit »

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:18 AM »
Yes, the few abusers usually ruin it for the majority in a lot of relms. That is what has made most of our laws necessary.

Thinking twice is always a good rule of thumb for any communication. Think about it before saying it, posting it, sending it...etc. I know I have said/typed things in the heat of the moment that I regret later. But at least you can still modify your posts when necessary. But usually when I modify it is because of grammar or spelling errors....lol. I have to slow down and proof before I post.  :duh
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 08:37:06 PM »
I'm really sorry that I had to take that feature away but don't forget, like Kris said, you can always modify your post if you didn't want it to appear the way it did.
Just change the subject line to something like, "oops, I didn't want to post this," then delete everything you typed and say the same thing about not wanting to post something, but only if no one else has responded to your post.
Don't forget too that some people can opt to have certain post sent directly to their in box so even a post that ends up getting deleted, will still have been sent to someone's in box so someone could have read something you didn't want to say.

It's always best to think about what you want to say before you type it and if you think you're saying something that could get taken the wrong way, read it over before hitting send.
Sheryl