Author Topic: Controversy Over Melissa's Experience  (Read 1539 times)

Bubu

• Global Moderator
Controversy Over Melissa's Experience
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/dancing-backlash-more-stars-slam-melissas-dancing-background/20138?nc

No while I agree that it isn't fair to have someone who has experience as a dancer on the show what I do object to is the fact Max had no problem when Mario Lopez of Joey Fatone etc was on the show when they had experience dancing. This has gone on every season  so why start griping now? Is it because Max is being a sore loser because once again he is stuck with someone who is not going to go far?  I don't get it, why is it suddenly a problem this season. Besides Melissa has even less experience than those I previously mentioned. Ballet lessons when you are 5 do not count. Being a cheerleader is a totally different thing than actual ballroom dancing.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Kris-SB

• Global Moderator
Re: Controversy Over Melissa's Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:27:48 AM »
And what about the fact that that Cheetah girl last year was a professional hip hop dancer and dance is a big part of skating and both last season had an olympic ice skater in it? (who won by the way)

Sour grapes!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:08:53 AM by Kris-SB »
Kris (Snow~Belle)
Good Friends are like stars, you can't always see them but you know they are there.

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
I knew there was someone else but couldn't think of who,lol
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »
Just because you took ballet lessons, doesn't mean you know how to do ballroom dancing.
If she was good in ballet, she may have rhythm and grace, but it hardly qualifies her to be an expert ballroom dancer.

Some people seem to have a lot of natural talent and you need some of this natural talent to even do well as a ballet dancer.

Not everyone who takes any kind of dance lessons is "great."
I've been taking my tap and jazz lessons for 5 years now and I'm amazed at how horrible some of the young kids dance who have been taking lessons for 15 years or more.
A lot of these kids start at 2 years old and they're probably not much better by the time they reach high school and that's because they don't have any grace or natural talent.

I'm a perfect example of a not so great dancer, lol.
Sure I can remember steps easily and do what's asked of me but do I look graceful and elegant when I'm doing jazz, I would say NO, lol!
Same with tap. I don't have what I call "dancer's hands." Your hands and arms add so much to the dance and mine kind of flop around.
One of my biggest challenges in dancing is trying to make my hands look like dancer's hands.
Sheryl

Dizzydeni

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
My problem with all of this is that we do not choose the contestants.  Obviously you can have experience dancing and the show allows it.  Their big mistake is mixing people together, those who have two left feet, with people who are naturally talented, or have had lessons before.  They pick these people because they feel they will pull in the viewers, bottom line.
Think of how different it would be if you never met the one person who changed everything.

Dizzydeni

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
At the end of the interview, this was said:

"It really just depends on what American wants to see. Do they want to see a non-dancer become a dancer, or do they want to see a dancer dance?" Derek noted.

Ultimately, Maksim seemed to agree and admitted it's all up to the audience.

"Does she have dance training? Of course. But it doesn't matter if the people love what she does," he concluded. "You know, Mazel Tov to her, as we say."

Max calmed down....
Think of how different it would be if you never met the one person who changed everything.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »
Like I said, some people are just a natural when it comes to dancing and no amount of training is going to change that.
I think it's great that some of these people with absolutely no dancing background can master some of the dances but mastering the steps and looking good doing them are two different things.
If you have grace and pose, you're probably going to look good no matter what you do.
Some people tend to have two left feet and those people would never look good no matter how many dance lessons they had.
Some people don't have rhythm either and don't hear the music when they're dancing.

There are people in one of my tap classes who can't seem to figure out when to start a particular step in a dance we're learning and these people have been taking lessons longer then me.
It's hard to understand why they don't know since it seems you just have to keep time with the music and hear the beat of the music but apparently they don't hear it.

I think some people are just sore sports.
Sheryl

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 05:07:36 PM »
I must have missed something along the way.  I didn't realize it is Max who is complaining, I didn't appreciate the judges comment either in last nights show, "what was it?  You can tell thsi comes easy for you??"  I agree, being a ballet dancer as a child and a cheerleader does not make a ballroom dancer.  Could the judge be a little jealous that Melissa is getting so much attention?
Rose

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.

Bubu

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
It always bothered me but what I objected to was that Max never complained about it until this time.  I don't think it is fair to put ones with experience with ones who don't either. If they were all on a level playing field, ie. all have some experience or all with none it would be fairer. But then again, who would want to watch the season with people who had no experience at all. 
Benjamin Franklin

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
I would imagine anyone with any kind of musical background might have some advantage over a person who's never taken a voice lesson, played an instrument, taken any type of dance class, or done any activity that required you to be able to keep time to a beat since all that helps a person be able to dance.
However, just because you can do some of that or have done some of that in the past, doesn't mean you're going to be a great ballroom dancer or even be able to do the steps.

One of the things the judges talk about when critiquing someone is the "hold." You don't have a hold when you're doing ballet, tap, jazz, or hip hop in fact, when you're doing hip hop, you're more bent over.
A ballet dancer should stand tall and same with a tap dancer, but a tap dancer needs to be loose and have relaxed arms and hands. That's not the case in ballroom dancing.

I think it's kind of hard to pick all people who are so uncoordinated that they'd never look good dancing because I don't think people would want to watch.
As it is, aren't most of us hoping the show gets rid of Steve, the computer guy since he's not very good?
If everyone stunk, how would we be able to vote, lol?
Sheryl