Author Topic: Advanced Directive  (Read 76 times)

MadIceGoddess

Advanced Directive
« on: September 10, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »
I feel like they are portraying this advance directive thing all wrong.  Yeah, I know this is a Soap and they play loose with the facts.  But, an advance directive is not a DNR.  I know my father had one and it specifically stated that he didn't want to be kept alive artificially if there was no way he was going to recover or very little chance.  I'm paraphrasing.  It also mentioned that life-saving measures were allowed within standard medical practices when there was a reasonable chance of survival.  I would consider Marlena's case to fall into this category. 

An advance directive really does you no good if you don't provide a copy to the person(s) responsible for making those decisions.  I know my sister and I both had a copy.  The hospitals did not.  And, it was still up to us to make those decisions based on his wishes.  My sister called me and told me the doctors had suggested we be ready to make those decisions and we both agreed he would be too frail to handle CPR or intubation, but we ended up not having to actually make any decision as he died that evening.  Now, my sister could overrule me if there was a disagreement since she was the primary decision-maker. 

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Re: Advanced Directive
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »
Well I sure hope they don't take Marlena off life support and let her die.

MadIceGoddess

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:43:47 PM »
I'm glad Eric said at least wait for John to get there.  I couldn't imagine them doing that without telling him first.  Of course, he's going to protest (as he should), and maybe that'll give time for the expert to get there or something. 

Tricia

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 10:04:31 PM »
I know it must’ve shocked Eric to learn her wishes at such a time.  But if that was truly her wishes, I believe that no one has the right to fight it.  So, because of my own personal reasons I was disappointed in him and hope he comes around and agrees to honor the directive.

Now, from a TV show standpoint I sure hope Marlena gets her miracle and comes around on her ow

Tricia

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »
No one is thinking that she COULD start to breath on her own when they take her off the ventilator.

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:02:39 PM »
OMgosh. I can't believe they took her off the ventilator today. I was praying she'd wake up. The show just can't kill her off.  :cry1