Author Topic: Bone Marrow procedures  (Read 50 times)

MadIceGoddess

Bone Marrow procedures
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:49:16 PM »
This whole bone marrow storyline is driving me crazy.  They don't do blood tests anymore.  They did back when I went to a BM drive many years ago, but now it's done with a cheek swab like DNA testing.  Also, there's a process that takes time (I know it's Salem time and the rules don't apply).  It's not as simple as finding a match and there you go.  I was called once as a possible match for someone.  I spent some time on the phone with them, but then it was "we'll get back to you."  I made the mistake of mentioning I had a rare genetic clotting disorder and that eliminated me as a possible donor.  Not that my bone marrow would be unacceptable, but they take all precautions to protect the donor and just that slight chance of a blood clot eliminated me.  I got kicked off the registry.   :cry1   But, the hospital would not be telling the parents who the possible donor is.   Since it is family, they might make an exception, but I doubt it.  They wouldn't have to if the donor didn't want them to know, but I think they would leave that up to the donor to tell them. 

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
Re: Bone Marrow procedures
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »
I don't know what the procedures are for checking for a donor. And do we know the donor was definitely a family member? They left us in suspense on Friday. I'm assuming it's Tate but since they didn't tell us, maybe it's someone completely different. Maybe the show wants us to figure it was Tate and then throw a curve ball. :confused

Sheryl

• Administrator
    • Sheryl'sPage
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »

Wow, I actually got it right. The show sure did throw us a curve ball. I never would have imaged that Gabi would be the match but since she is, now I'm wondering if Rolf some how stole an egg from her and implanted it in Kristen. Could Gabi really be Mickey's biological mother? Boy that would really be something.
But speaking of Gabi, I can't believe she's using her bone marrow as a bargaining chip.

Princessrose

• Rose
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 11:10:38 AM »
I agree with MadIce on how the procedure works.  One year when I was still working we  had a bone marrow drive, they swabbed the inside of your cheek and you filled out the necessary paperwork.  Out of hundreds who applied we did indeed have a match for someone, the donor had to go through a lot of psycological tests, and a complete physical before she even could  become a donor, it's a long process, and further more, Gabi is of Latino background, how could she possibily be a match?? Just wondering.
Rose

Life is too short for drama and petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.

MadIceGoddess

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »
What Eric and Sarah did with Gabi is exactly one reason why the family doesn't get the name of the donor.  The donor should never feel pressured.  And yes, that is a new low for Gabi.  Had she volunteered to donate regardless of her position, then I could see someone intervening to give her a lighter sentence, but it makes me really mad that she gets off scott free for attempted murder, yet Will was in prison supposedly for life for something like negligent homicide (which was way too much time for that offense).